Our internship programme is highly regarded for its hands-on experience and excellent consultant contact time, with protected formal tutorial sessions weekly and numerous opportunities for informal teaching (face-to-face).
With our newly appointed Director of Medical Education, we are poised for even greater success in providing high-quality education to our medical workforce.
The hospital and senior staff have a strong philosophy of supporting the career development of junior doctors. In 2023 this will be further facilitated by the offering of 2-year internship contracts to provide an opportunity of continuity of training and pursuit of subsequent vocational training programs and positions.
There are currently ten intern positions at Mildura Base Public Hospital with seconded doctors from other hospitals. Each intern will complete five rotations including three core term rotations, with unique opportunities to complete rotations in anaesthetics / pain services, paediatrics and dedicated perioperative exposure in the surgical rotation.
As an intern at MBPH you will get:
- Hands on experiences and excellent consultant time
- Protected formal tutorial sessions
- Exposure through PGY1 + PGY2 to:
- Community & Primary Care
- Anaesthetics / Pain Management / Intensive Care Unit
- Child and Youth Health
- Mental Health
- General Surgery / Pre-operative
- General Medicine / Oncology / Nephrology / Geriatrics
- Emergency Medicine
- Women's Health
Each intern will complete five rotations that meet the requirements of the AMC National framework for Prevovcational Medical Training.
We Have Several Pathways for Internships
Our interns gain high-quality clinical experience by working across multiple specialty areas throughout the hospital.
Rotations are available in emergency medicine, general medicine, general surgery, psychiatry and orthopaedics. These placements occur over five terms.
An example of a rotation allocation has been provided.
If you want to work at Mildura Base Public Hospital during your internship, you can apply via the PMCV allocation/placement service (email@example.com) and directly to Mildura Base Public Hospital.
PMCV administers the allocation and placement services on behalf of the Victorian hospitals who offer intern positions to candidates applying for these positions.
In your VIC intern application, you will be asked to preference the hospital where you would like to undertake your internship.
Simply select Mildura Base Public Hospital as your first preference when choosing your hospital.
MBPH has ten places to offer in 2023
About our Intern Training Program
Our program has been developed over many years with considerable focus on offering interns broad exposure during their training to a diverse case-mix.
The Mildura Base Public Hospital has developed strong working relationships with local health providers, which provide:
- A welcoming environment and comprehensive orientation
- Broad case mix with great learning opportunities
- Strong supervision and teaching
- As a part of the intern year, you will be allocated to five rotations over five terms.
You will have access to five weeks annual leave which is planned in conjunction with allocation requests and rotation requirements to ensure completion of internship.
We will encourage you to become actively involved with learning opportunities onsite or within the network, including presentations, simulation training, committees, audits and research.
About our Medical Education Team
We are a growing, dynamic team very interested in the education and support of medical trainees.
Our team consists of:
- Dr Nabrees Sinnalebbe, Deputy CMO
- Dr Peter Beggs, Director of Clinical Training
- Dr Mary Beth MacIsaac, Director of Medical Education
In addition we have a Clinical Lead, Workplace Based Assessment program
Employment conditions & benefits
- Five weeks annual leave per year (for full-time employees)
- Personal development leave as outlined in the relevant Enterprise Agreement
- Accommodation at reduced rates
- Teaching time with approachable and skilled senior doctors
- Supportive Post Graduate Medical Education – we look after our interns and provide education, support, mentoring and more.
- Doctor well-being program and a 24-hour hotline where you can speak to an experienced and approachable senior consultant any time of the day or night
- Assistance with relocation
- Free onsite parking at MBPH
- Orientation week involving shadow exiting interns and enabling completion of mandatory eLearning
- Access to Employee Assistance Program
Opportunities beyond internship
We offer fantastic ongoing opportunities to build your own pathway.
How to apply
MBPH will be participating in the Victorian Rural Preferential Allocation (VRPA) Intern Match process through the PMCV: 2023 Intern Match – PMCV
Applications must be made via the PMCV match process and a cover letter provided to MBPH by emailing MedicalWorkforce@mbph.org.au.
Second-Round Match Process
For positions in the second round General Intern match, you will need to submit a direct full application as detailed below through the Second Round position advertised on the MBPH Recruitment Site.
If you are eligible to apply for an intern position, in either Match process, you must first register with PMCV.
2024 UPDATE COMING SOON
At Mildura Base Public Hospital, you’ll gain great experience across a wide range of specialties with a varied case mix, be surrounded by supportive consultants and have easy access to protected teaching time all within a great team environment and awesome culture.
Additional education sessions:
- Grand Grounds
- Unit Meetings / Journal Club
- Clinical Skills Tutorial Sessions
- Mandatory Core Competencies
- Dedicated PGY2 Program
MBPH will have up to 15 HMO positions available across the entire hospital in 2024 – consisting of PGY2 and PGY3 doctors.
You are able to apply for a range of rotations, including:
- General Medicine
- General Surgery
- ICU/Critical Care
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Outreach Services
There are a variety of positions available, including MBPH positions, college appointed positions and rotations from parent health services such as Alfred, Royal Melbourne, Northern and Peninsula Health.
MBPH is accredited for training in:
- General Medical (RACP BPT Year 1)
- General Medicine (RACP APT – Advanced Medicine Trainee)
- Mental Health (RANZCP Specialist Training Program)
- Emergency Medicine (ACEM)
- Paediatrics (RACP)
- Anaesthetics (ANZCA)
MBPH also welcomes provisional registrars (for those not yet in college training programs) in:
- General Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Get in touch
If you have any additional questions about Mildura Base Public Hospital's services, please contact us.