Telehealth appointments are now being offered in some Mildura Base Public Hospital Outpatient Clinics, such as Cancer Services, Mental Health Services and Pediatric Services.
Telehealth is a consultation between a patient and a specialist, and includes the use of an audio and video connection via your computer, mobile phone or tablet. Family members or other health professionals, including your local General Practitioner, may also be involved in the Telehealth consultation. It is just like any other outpatient appointment at a Mildura Base Public Hospital clinic, conducted virtually rather than face-to-face.
Access to Telehealth for patients, families and outside callers
Access to Telehealth for Staff
Telehealth may not be suitable for all patients or appointments; your specialist may recommend and offer a Telehealth consultation if appropriate.
Benefits of telehealth
Telehealth has a number of benefits including:
- Your appointment can be conducted anywhere, in your home, with your local healthcare professional or even at work
- Less or no travel time
- You can use telehealth on any laptop, desktop computer, tablet or smartphone
- Video calls are secure and private
- The video call is free (except for your internet usage). However, the regular costs (if any) of a medical consultation still apply
Preparing for your appointment
- Once you are booked in, you will receive a confirmation letter outlining the date and time of your appointment
- What you need to make a video call – click here to find out more
- We advise trying a test call well in advance of your appointment to ensure audio, camera and internet is working correctly. You can test your systems here.
Tips for your appointment
- Find a quiet, private space for your call
- Ensure the space is well lit
- Ensure good connection to a secured internet connection
- Follow the instructions on your appointment letter and dial in to the appointment approximately 10 minutes before the scheduled start time and wait for the clinician to join.
- Have a pen and paper handy to take down any key notes